The Dark Web, also known as the Deep Web, has been around since the late 1990s and has grown quite popular over the years, especially among users looking to stay anonymous while surfing online. While no one knows exactly how big the Dark Web is, estimates put it at 500 times bigger than the surface Web that we all browse through every day. Many people have heard of the Dark Web, but many others have little or no idea about what it really is or what you can find there. This article will present 10 interesting facts about the Dark Web that you probably never knew before!
1) The dark web can be accessed in a number of ways
The dark web is a hidden part of the internet that can only be accessed using special software. It’s often associated with illegal activity, but there are also many legitimate uses for it. The most popular way to access the dark web is through Tor. Tor stands for The Onion Router. Tor provides anonymity by hiding your IP address and routing your traffic through several other countries and locations around the world. In order to use Tor, you’ll need to download some additional software on top of your regular browser – this is done in order to protect your identity and location.
2) Some sites are free, while others require payment
The internet is huge, and there’s a lot of information out there. But did you know that there’s a whole other side to it? The dark web is full of sites that you can’t access through a regular search engine. And some of them are pretty interesting.
3) Criminals use it to hide their identities
While the Dark Web is often associated with criminal activity, it’s important to remember that not everyone who uses it is a criminal. In fact, many people use the Dark Web to hide their identities for legitimate reasons. For example, whistleblowers and journalists often use the Dark Web to communicate securely and anonymously. However, criminals also use the Dark Web to hide their identities and avoid detection by law enforcement.
4) The dark web is not hidden from search engines
Many people believe that the dark web is hidden from search engines, but that’s not actually the case. The dark web is simply a collection of unindexed websites. This means that Google and other search engines can’t find them when you perform a search. However, there are ways to access these websites. You’ll need to use a special browser, like Tor, to access them.
5) Drugs are readily available on the dark web
The dark web is infamous for being a haven for illegal activity, and drugs are no exception. In fact, drugs are one of the most popular items available on the dark web. While this may not be surprising, what is surprising is the variety of drugs that are available. From marijuana to heroin to LSD, you can find just about anything you’re looking for on the dark web.
6) Weapons are available on the dark web
- There are many types of weapons available for purchase on the dark web, from knives to guns.
- While some weapons are illegal in certain countries, they may be perfectly legal to purchase on the dark web.
- The prices of weapons on the dark web vary depending on the type of weapon and the seller, but they are typically cheaper than purchasing them through legal channels.
- Purchasing weapons on the dark web is a risky proposition, as there is no guarantee that you will receive what you paid for.
7) Child pornography is traded on the dark web
Although it’s widely known that child pornography is traded on the dark web, many people don’t know the extent of this illegal activity. The dark web is a hidden part of the internet that can only be accessed using special software. It’s often used by criminals to buy and sell illegal goods and services.
8) Hackers use it to trade stolen data such as bank account numbers
Although it’s often associated with illegal activity, the dark web can be used for good. For example, journalists use it to communicate with sources who wish to remain anonymous. The dark web also has sites that offer advice on how to stay safe online, such as what security software to install and how to secure your wireless network. The Tor browser is one of the most popular ways of accessing the dark web and has a number of legitimate uses – so if you’re interested in exploring it but are worried about getting into trouble, don’t worry too much!
9) Law enforcement agencies use it to monitor criminals’ activities
The dark web is a place where criminals can buy and sell illegal goods and services. It’s also a place where law enforcement agencies can monitor criminal activity. Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University developed software that could collect information about potential suspects from the dark web, including their identities, locations, tradecraft, and activities on social media. Using this software, law enforcement agents have been able to identify at least one individual who was selling firearms illegally.
10) People are leaving reviews of dark web products and services
- People are leaving reviews of dark web products and services just like they would on any other website. This helps potential customers know what to expect and avoid getting scammed.
- Some of the most popular items for sale on the dark web are drugs, weapons, and fake IDs.
- The dark web is also a popular marketplace for stolen data, such as credit card numbers and login credentials.